The Earth is a watery planet, but there is actually very little of that water we can use. NASA Goddard breaks out in great detail how we use the fresh water that’s available.

Video Summary

97% of Earth’s water is made up of ocean water, making it unusable for consumption. Of the remaining 3%, 2% is held in glaciers, icecaps, and ground water. This leaves only 1% of Earth’s water for us to use. In the US, about 49% of that water is used in thermal-electric power production, 31% goes into agricultural use, 11% sees public use, 4% to industries and manufacturing, and the remaining 1% is used domestically. This water mostly comes from precipitation. In the developing world, around 70% of fresh water is used for agriculture, 20% industrial use, and 10% public use. NASA’s Global Precipitation Measurement satellite helps people to plan for drought periods in places where water is less available or accessible.